I moved to Chicago from Austin, TX in 2014 with my then boyfriend (now husband!), two dogs, and two cats to continue to learn and perform improv comedy. On a late summer day, I was feeling like I wanted to have some movement practices lined up for my first REAL Chicago winter. Sitting in my dining room, I perused the internet for things like, "exercise that doesn't feel like exercise" and, "staying sane during a snowpocalypse."
Somewhere along the way during that fateful day of googling, Qoya popped up. I clicked on the website and it was like all the air left the room and time stood still. The universe was talking to me, and I was listening with my WHOLE body. I read about Qoya, Rochelle Schieck, the founder, and the classes. Then, I clicked on the retreat page and just started crying. There was an upcoming retreat in Costa Rica, a place that had been on my bucket list for a long time, and I knew I had to go.
But it wasn't just the retreat I saw. It was the option to do the Initiation portion of the teacher training. I knew I was going to be a Qoya teacher before I'd even done a full class. I didn't have a job and I didn't know how I was going to pay it off, but that day, I put the retreat and the first two parts of the Qoya teacher training on my credit card and the trajectory of my entire life changed in all THE BEST ways.
Some of the adventures I have experienced since I put my faith on credit and followed my heart:
-Swimming in the Pacific Ocean, off the coast of Costa Rica, watching the sunset.
- Fulfilling a lifelong dream of going on safari in Zimbabwe where I: danced on the land, heard the sounds of a baby rhino in person (worth googling), had my heart grow 100x while volunteering at a local school, made the acquaintance of several new elephant friends, jumped off the side of a gorge, walked with lions, went cage diving with crocodiles, and swam in the Devil's Pool of Victoria Falls.
- Surprise marriage proposal in Hawaii on the last night of a Qoya retreat! During a fire ceremony!
-Doing sacred work and visiting Machu Picchu and the Amazon jungle in Peru.
- Completing my Qoya teacher training. In a castle. In France!!!!
- Surprise wedding in Austin officiated by Rochelle, surrounded by friends, family, and alpacas!
- Visiting Bali to work on self love and get a Goddess tattoo (obviously)!
-Participating in a Mayan inspired cacao ceremony in Lake Atitlán, Guatemala.
So if you're wondering if you should try a class out, my answer is YES YES YES YES YES YES!